Carrot storage is a responsible process that requires special training.
It is on the correctness of its implementation depends on the duration of storage of the harvested crop.
The question remains whether it is possible to wash a carrot before putting it in the basement?
So, what kind of carrots winter great and how to prepare it for storage, consider next.
Peculiarities of vegetable structure
- the correct form of carrot root,
- relatively high yield
- storage capacity.
Due to the low level of keeping quality of table carrots during its long-term storage, part of the crop may be completely lost.
To wash or not?
To wash or not to wash the harvest? It all depends on the total number of carrots. If her, for example, 10 buckets, then you need to decide whether there is time for this, force, water, a place for drying root crops. If everything is available, you can proceed to the preparation of root crops.
Pure carrots will be stored much longer than unwashed. In the ground may be pathogens of various diseases and rot.
Besides, on a clear peel all the damage is noticeable, even the smallest: wormholes, small cracks, scratches. Already washed and sorted carrots spread out on burlap under a canopy.
Read more about whether it is possible to wash carrots before putting it in storage and how to do it correctly, read here.
If the washed crop is in the cellar at a temperature of 0 to +3 ° C and a relative humidity of not more than 90%, it will be 6 months.
More details about the shelf life of carrots can be found in this material.
Among gardeners, the following varieties of carrots for storage are in great demand:
- Queen of autumn. This is a sweet variety. Its fruits are not subject to cracking. They have a length of 25-30 cm. You can store for at least a year.
- Sweet winter The universal grade differing in high productivity. Allows you to grow the fruit of a rich taste, whose length is 20 cm.
- The Emperor. It is highly resistant to disease. Perfectly transfers long storage and transportation. The length of the fruit is 25-30 cm.
- Flacoro. The grade gives a high crop, large root crops. They are sweet, and their length is up to 28 cm.
- Vitamin 6. Fruits are perfectly stored, without losing the external and taste qualities. The fruits are blunt conical in shape, their length is 15 cm.
- Vita Long This variety is one of the most popular for storage. Its fruits are highly resistant to various types of rot. Harvest beautifully stored and transports transport can be used fresh and for preservation.
- Flakke. This is an imported variety that allows you to get a great harvest in the Russian regions. The fruits are large and long, have excellent taste. Feature of a grade in resistance to causative agents of diseases, cracking and in long storage.
- Chance. The variety has a high yield, resistance to cold, diseases. Fruit pulp is distinguished by good juiciness and pleasant taste.
- Cascade F1. Fruits are short, the flesh is juicy and bright orange. Variety resists diseases, suitable for long-term storage. It can be used in pure form, for pressing and cooking baby food.
About what varieties are best suited for storing carrots in the winter, read our article.
How to save the root vegetable for the winter at home?
How to preserve the washed harvest for the winter in domestic conditions? So that the harvested roots keep their taste and appearance as long as possible, You need to follow the following plan:
- Too dirty root vegetables to wash, put under a canopy and dry. They should not be left with excess moisture, as it negatively affects the preservation of the crop.
- In the basement install boxes. You can fill them with sand or sawdust. Put carrots in there. Boxes should be located at a height of 1 m from the floor. Instead of a sandbox you can use plastic bags. They lay on wooden flooring. Do not tie bags tightly, otherwise moisture will form inside them.
- The optimum air temperature for carrots is 0 ... + 5 ° at a humidity of 90%. Air circulation should be negligible.
- Save the carrot in the basement can only be provided if it is not flooded with water.
- If there is no cellar, you can do without it. To do this, you will have to dig a hole in the ground, insulate it and fill it from above. With this method, the crop can be saved until spring.
Storage of washed carrots in winter:
The process of storing unwashed carrots also has its own characteristics:
- Harvest the crop spread out under a canopy and dry it thoroughly. Keep the sun rays from falling on carrots. In addition, 2 days before the storage is stored, cool the crop to a temperature of 0 degrees.
- Now is the time to do the preparation of the room. It should be dry, and the temperature regime should be within 10-12 degrees Celsius. Humidity is not lower than 90-95%. Too warm room does not fit, as moisture starts to come out of the carrots, and root crops will fade. Normally, 1 t of carrots leaves 16 g of moisture during storage.
- Disinfect the storage and drawers with copper sulfate solution.
- Select carrots that have flaws, as it is not suitable for storage.
There are several of them:
- In bulk in the cellar. This method is one of the most effective. In this case, the basement should not freeze through in the winter and syr. In addition, lay carrots on wooden flooring, towering above the floor at a distance of 1 m.
- In sand. This method is laborious, but the harvest is stored for a long time. Prepare a wooden box, cover it with sand with a layer of up to 3 m. Spread the root vegetables from above so that they do not touch. Above again comes a layer of sand, 1.5 cm thick.
- In boxes and baskets. Root vegetables cover with a thin layer of clay or slaked lime. The consistency of the solution should resemble sour cream (for 10 liters of water 1 kg of lime or clay). To excess solution with carrots stack, spread it for 1-2 days in a well-ventilated area. Due to the formed film creates reliable protection from rot and wilt. Fold dried roots in a deep large box.
- In plastic bags. Their capacity should be 30-35 kg. After filling the bag, do not tie it. Just when breathing carrots emit carbon dioxide, which is an excellent protection against the development of diseases. Place the bags tightly in the cellar. But most often this option is used for industrial storage.
Tips and Warnings
To keep carrots as long as possible, you must comply with the following conditions:
- The room must be equipped with high-quality ventilation.
- At first, after harvesting, carrots are prone to intense evaporation, as a result of which, at low air humidity, it will begin to lose moisture and quickly fade. So the optimum humidity is 90%.
Besides, when storing the crop, be sure to trim the roots, following the following recommendations:
- To remove the tops when harvesting, leaving a small bump.
- After trimming the "ass" carrots. It is cut from 1 to 3 cm. Everything here depends on the damage present.
- Cut off the root of the carrot, where the diameter of the tail will be 5 cm.
- Use a sharp knife for trimming. Its blade should be smooth and smooth.
- After pruning, slices should be thoroughly dried.
Learn more about how to properly prune carrots for winter storage, you can find here, and more information about the proper preparation of the root for storage you can find here.
Storage of washed carrots is not difficult, but very important. In this form, the crop will be stored for quite longer, maintaining its appearance and taste. It remains only to choose the appropriate method for the preservation of root crops and to strictly follow the recommendations presented.
Description and useful properties
Carrots are a biennial plant that belongs to the umbrella family. In the first year of growth, carrots bear fruit, and in the second, seeds. Carrot fruits are fleshy, mostly orange.
This is a useful vegetable that has a variety of vitamins and trace elements that are beneficial to the body:
- B vitamins,
- vitamin C, K, E, A (carotene),
- trace elements (potassium, cobalt, phosphorus, chromium, fluorine and others),
- essential oils,
- proteins in the amount of 1.3%,
- carbohydrates in the amount of 7%.
Due to the abundance of vitamins, raw carrots are used as an additional tool in the treatment of visual diseases, diseases of the oral cavity, liver and gastrointestinal tract, and beriberi. Carrot juice is especially useful for lactating mothers. Boiled carrots should be consumed by patients with diabetes.
Root Vegetable Preparation
For long-term storage only whole carrots are suitable, without any signs of rot and damage. At root vegetables should not be traces of slices of a shovel or from the bites of pests (ants, medvedki). Also There are special varieties of carrots that are designed for long-term storage:
- Moscow winter.
More resistant to long-term storage varieties, the roots of which are conical. Earlier all begin to deteriorate varieties with short fruits. The longer the carrot is in the ground, the more organic acids and vitamin C it contains. Such root vegetables are more useful, but they are especially susceptible to spoilage during storage. The fruits harvested from the garden at the age of 100-110 days will survive best of all.
Advantages and disadvantages
The benefits of sphagnum are much greater than the disadvantages. Among them is the ease of moss (it does not weigh down the boxes with its weight), and also:
- Moss conservation property: accumulates and retains carbon dioxide, which has a beneficial effect on the state of the crop,
- hygroscopicity of sphagnum: the adjusted air moisture exchange,
- high content of iodine: the element has bactericidal and disinfecting properties.
The obvious minus is the difficulty of finding and preparing peat moss. It does not grow in any locality, and before laying carrots in it, the moss needs to be dried qualitatively, which will take extra time.
How to save for the winter?
Carrots are dug out from the beds, cleaned of adhering soil, cut off the tops. You also need to cut the upper part of the vegetable even cut, thickness - 1 cm. Be sure to dry the crop in the sun. Before the carrot goes to wintering, it should be carefully selected.
Poorly stored fruits that have fallen under the aggressive influence of external factors. These include:
- plentiful watering (beds with carrots should not be poured much),
- bad soil
- overfeeding with nitrogenous fertilizers,
- bad weather conditions.
For storage in moss will need packaging (boxes of wood or plastic), sphagnum moss and carrots themselves.
Preparation of moss produced at any time of the year. Collect and prepare it as follows.
- Scissors cut off the top living layer of moss or remove it manually.
- After the moss is collected, it needs to be well wrung out, remove garbage and darkened twigs from it.
- Moss can be stored wet in plastic bags in a cool place.
- To dry, moss should be hung out so that its branches are at a short distance from each other. This procedure will help sphagnum retain its natural elasticity.
- The drying process is long. When sphagnum dries well, it will turn white. Then it is packed in paper bags and stored at a temperature of 20-25 degrees. Harvested moss is suitable for use only for a year.
How is the carrot laying:
- At the bottom of the boxes lay out layers of moss and carrots, alternating them.
- The first layer is moss, the next is carrots and so on until the box is filled.
- Root crops should not be in contact with each other: so they will last much longer and will not deteriorate.
For long-term storage of carrots, you can use wet moss. For this autumn, you need to collect the sphagnum manually, put it on the bottom of the enamelware. Place the carrots in a bowl over moss. Alternate layers of sphagnum and carrot. When the container is filled to the top, it is covered with a canvas cloth and sent to the basement for the winter.
Watch a video on the topic: “Carrots - how we store sphagnum in the moss, cellar, and refrigerator until spring. Harvest from your plot "
When storing carrots in the moss, there may be some problems. Here are some of the most frequent:
- Carrot freezes. Such a problem may occur if the temperature in the room where the carrots are stored falls below -2 degrees. In this case, the harvest of carrots must be further warmed with felt.
- Root crops germinate or wither. The appearance of this problem contributes to impaired air exchange, the level of which is immediately difficult to determine. To solve this problem is simple - you need to cut off the grown tops and toss the roots with chalk, as well as reduce air microcirculation.
- The invasion of rodents. Pests can chew root crops. Dried mint or canufer (tansy) will help to escape from them. Boxes need to be covered with stalks of tansy, and rodents will not touch them.
- Mold, fungi. The problem appears due to the fact that the room was not previously prepared. Before laying the harvest, it is necessary to treat the walls of the cellar with a solution of bleach, whiten them.
Carrots - a vegetable rich in vitamins and microelements, useful for the human body in any form. Many varieties are suitable for long-term storage. To root vegetables retain their good and beautiful appearance until the spring, they must be properly stored. Storage in the moss is a proven way to enjoy the taste of the root crop in the winter and even in the spring.
Useful properties of vegetables
Carrots are one of the most popular vegetable crops among gardeners. It is easy to grow in the garden, in the greenhouse or on the balcony.
First of all, carrots are fiber, creating a long feeling of satiety and stimulating digestion.
It is well known which vitamin is the main one in carrots. This carotene is essential for healthy eyes and overall wellness. This, by the way, is the use of carrots for children.
Useful properties of carrots:
- carrots are carbohydrates and glucose,
- the content of pectin and minerals,
- weight loss diet product
- carrots contain potassium and its salts, which strengthen the heart and walls of blood vessels,
- it is rich in antioxidants that fight free radicals,
- cleanses the body of harmful substances and strengthens the immune system,
- during pregnancy contributes to the proper development of the fetus,
- enriches mother's milk with vitamins,
- enhances the activity of the glands of the gastrointestinal tract.
The benefits and harms of carrots are determined by the amount of its consumption. When used immensely, drowsiness, lethargy and even headaches can occur.
Carrots can be consumed daily, 50-100 grams in the form of a salad before the first course or on an empty stomach for gastritis with low acidity, in diseases of the liver, pancreas.
What properties should fruits intended for long-term storage:
- Fruits must be sufficiently mature with the absence of any signs of rotting, disease, and various flaws (for example, a carrot eaten or incised carrots should not be taken into storage).
- From suitable varieties suitable for long-term storage, you should choose not too juicy and delicate: the rougher the carrot looks, however strange it may be, it will be better preserved. Varieties with a high content of vitamins and having a delicate look are best eaten first.
- The longer the carrot ripens, being in the ground, the more organic acids and vitamins of group C accumulate in it, which means that it is more susceptible to deterioration during storage. However, such a carrot is most useful.
- Earlier all spoil varieties with shortened roots.
- Conical shaped carrots are generally more resistant to long-term storage.
- The roots are harvested longer, harvested at the age of 100-110 days.
- The most strongly affecting the subsequent storage factors for cultivation: poor soil, too frequent watering or excessive use of nitrogen fertilizers.
The basis of good preservation lies in the health of root crops, depending not only on climate, the state of the soil in which they were grown, but in many respects on their variety.
Choosing carrot seeds, you should pay attention to such a factor - whether they are intended for long-term storage. First of all, you should pay attention to zoned varieties, specially bred for a particular climate.
Overwhelmingly regions of Russia The period of favorable growth and development of carrots is very limited. Spring is long, autumn is early ... When planting late-ripening carrots, it happens that they do not ripen, do not accumulate enough sugar and fiber in themselves.
And, as you know, a large delay between harvesting and storing the crop for storage has a negative effect on the safety of root crops.
Optimal storage varieties are:
- Nevis F1.
- Gribovchanin F1.
- Nandrin F1.
- Canada F1.
- Mango F1.
- Nantes 4.
- Nerak F1.
- Moscow winter, etc.
Mold and Fungi
For the disinfection of premises from mold and fungi, it would not be superfluous to use a 2% bleach solution (1 kg per 150 sq. M). This solution covers all the walls of the room in which it is planned to leave the harvest for storage, and whiten them 2 weeks before harvesting the carrots.
Before whitewashing, dilute 2 kg of hydrated lime and 300 g of copper sulphate in 10 liters of water. Each square meter of wall takes about 0.5 liters of mortar.
If the carrot is not infected with an infection (for example, white rot), it can still be poorly stored due to adverse conditions, mechanical damage, and also because of the variety. The fact is that not all varieties of carrots are intended for long-term storage.
Violation of temperature
It is extremely important to maintain the temperature during storage of carrots, since the slightest change in temperature, for example, by 2 degrees violates the “rest” of a carrot, from which it begins to germinate, ache, and fade.
Having correctly selected a variety of carrots designed for long-term storage, following all the described guidelines for preparing root crops and using sphagnum moss for laying between the rows, you can keep the carrots fresh and juicy until the next harvest.
Useful properties of this vegetable
Many gardeners like such a useful vegetable, in particular, its roots are of great value - they contain a lot of vitamin A. Carrot is suitable for cooking salad or canned food for the winter. It is better to grow in the garden - so you will surely know that there are no additives in the vegetable.
In this vegetable there are vitamins of different groups - there is carotene. Such a substance, entering the human body, turns into vitamin A. In carrots there are proteins, carbohydrates, minerals, as well as iron, potassium, phosphorus, copper, cobalt, fluorine, zinc, nickel, iodine. Also, there are essential oils that cause an unusual smell.
Suitability for long storage
Not all carrots are subject to storage - gardeners with the experience know about it. Storage depends not only on the species, but also on the conditions under which the vegetable was grown, how the crop was harvested and prepared for storage. For example, late varieties do not have time to accumulate a large amount of fiber and sugar - they are stored worse.
The following varieties are most popular and suitable for long-term storage:
- Winter Mid-season species, which is stored for 12 months.
- Shantane Sweet root crops with bright aroma. Stored for 10 months.
- Nantes. Early carrots - root vegetables are stored for up to 10 months.
Is it possible to save in a warm subfield?
Of course you can. But for this you will need to conduct a basement preparation since spring. It is necessary to clear it from garbage and the remains of products. Often used bleach - this solution is used to treat the room around the perimeter 2 months before laying vegetables.
After this, the cellar is ventilated and lime white with a small amount of copper sulfate. If there is mold on the walls, you need to dry the basement with the help of coals that are heated on the brazier. Stains need to be treated with a solution of alcohol and salicylic acid.
The cellar should have 2 compartments - one used to store fruits and vegetables, and the other for pickles. In winter, the temperature should not be below 1 degree.
Ways and Tips
To select the best method of preserving carrots in the cellar, check out these methods:
- The hands can create boxes of cardboard or wooden boards. They should not be holes, and they are closed with lids. So the carrot will be laid carefully, covered with a lid and placed in the basement at a distance of 15 cm from the wall. You can arrange the boxes on special stands - so moisture from the walls will not fall into them. This method is considered compact, since in several boxes it will easily fit about 20 kg of vegetables.
- You can store carrots in the basement using onion peel. For this, the husks are folded into large bags, in which carrots are put afterwards. The role of the husk allows you to prevent the vegetable from moisture and keep it from reproduction of harmful microorganisms. Bags must be tightly closed, and half put on pallets.
- The use of conifer sawdust is another good way to store. Root crops are poured with sawdust, which is obtained from coniferous wood. In needles contain special substances that will save carrots from rot and disease. Vegetables are put in a suitable container, sawdust is poured on top - it is not possible to put the boxes close to the floor or walls.
- Using sand and boxes, you can store carrots long enough. Just sprinkle the sand in layers and fold the vegetables in a checkerboard pattern. So each carrot will have its own shell.
- Wet sand and chalk can be mixed, and the resulting composition is poured into a wooden box.
To save this vegetable culture, follow the instructions strictly:
- Prepare the basement. Clean it of old products and disinfect. To do this, remove all food and other things from the room, and then clean the ceiling, floor and walls and treat them with copper sulfate with lime. If necessary, apply a second layer.
- Make shelves that will not fit to the floor or wall. You can use sheets of plywood or wooden boards. It is important to secure them at least at a distance of 20 cm from the floor to prevent moisture from entering the vegetables.
- Find and prepare suitable storage boxes for carrots. You can make them yourself from wooden boards or use ready-made ones that you can buy on the market.
- Choose one of the storage options that suit you.
- Carefully place the carrot in all the rules so that it retains all its properties.
- Periodically visit the cellar - so you can control the storage process, and if necessary take measures to preserve the harvest.
- If necessary, just go down to the basement and take as many carrots as you need.
Features of the product structure
Carrots are a two-year culture, which has developed the ability to be at a low temperature in a state of shallow dormancy. When creating full-fledged conditions, its growth is restored again. The state of forced rest is required by the plant in order to complete all the generative processes of development.
With the onset of autumn, their growth at high temperature takes on a vegetative character. In the spring, after a certain period of time, sprouts are formed. These are the beginnings of future generative shoots.
In the case of fruits that have not ripened, the processes of budding the buds of the inflorescences have not been completed for a long time, therefore they are distinguished by high longevity.
The degree of maturation of carrots can be understood by the ratio of sucrose to monosaccharides. If it is higher than 1, then the maturation is excellent and the incidence is high, and if it is below 1, then the maturation is poor and the incidence is low.
What sort can be stored for the winter?
Prolonged storage of the crop in the winter in an apartment without a cellar depends on the choice of variety.
For long-term storage you need to choose late-ripening varieties., the length of root crops is not less than 20 cm. For this purpose, these types of carrots are perfect:
- Vita Long
- Moscow winter.
- Queen of autumn.
They have a much longer shelf life than others.
So how best to store carrots? Root crops are stored in the cellar using several methods:
- Plastic bags.
This method is one of the most common. Pour 5-6 kg of prepared root crops into the bag, tie and put upright. If condensation occurs, then a small hole should be made on the walls to evaporate it.
You can pack 20 kg of vegetables in a bag, but then you can put wet sawdust on top, a layer of which is 10 cm.
The main advantage of the method is that the bag forms high humidity and the necessary amount of carbon dioxide. This has a positive effect on the quality preservation of carrots. On top of potatoes.
In a cellar on potato claps, carrots should be laid in layers, the thickness of which is 2-3 cm. Thus, root crops absorb excess moisture. Claying.
The essence of this method is to dip the roots in a clay mash and place them in boxes that have gaps for ventilation.
To make a talker, you need to combine the clay with water to obtain a creamy consistency. A layer of clay will gradually dry on vegetables and protect them from withering, moisture evaporation and various diseases. Before eating carrots, clay is very easily washed off with plain water. In sand.
Put sand on the basement floor. The thickness of the layer should be 5 cm. Lay carrots on it in rows so that the roots are directed inwards. In this case, the roots should not be in contact with each other. Cover the vegetables with sand 1-2 cm and lay a new row of the crop. Similarly, perform a stack of up to 1 m.
Coniferous sawdust is used to store carrots. This method allows you to protect vegetables from germination and white rot. The fact is that sawdust contains essential oil, which has a disinfecting effect.
Sawdust should be wet 18-20%. For 200 kg of crop, 0.1 m3 of sawdust is required.
Ordinary canvas bags and moss can also be used for storage.
On the balcony
To store carrots on the balcony you need to prepare a plastic box, sawdust or sand. With this storage method it is important that the temperature is not above 0 degrees, and sunlight does not penetrate the rootsotherwise their quality will go down. Carrots change color, begin to turn green, and its taste gets a bitter taste.
- Before laying the roots cleaned from the ground, washed and dried.
- Then pour sand on the bottom of the box, layer thickness is 2 cm. Lay the roots in rows and fill up with sand again.
- Similarly, spread the roots until they fill the entire height of the box.
- Set the capacity on the balcony or glazed loggia.
Brief description of the vegetable
Root crop belongs to the umbrella family. Distinctive feature - dissected (patterned) foliage. Carrots are divided into dining and feed. Breeders deduced more than 60 species of this culture, which are distinguished by the brightness of color, size, ripening period and plentiful tops.
Carrots are included in the list of the most useful vegetables. The positive effect of the root on the body is as follows:
- This is a natural source of provitamin A - the daily supply can be replenished by eating only 2 carrots.
- Beta-carotene (the same vitamin A) helps to increase the protective properties of the immune system, has a positive effect on visual function.
- Fiber has a beneficial effect on the regulation of blood glucose levels, helps to reduce fat.
- Potassium helps to improve the functioning of the heart and blood vessels.
- Chlorine normalizes the water-salt balance, and phosphorus strengthens the skeletal system.
Is it possible to save the root vegetable using wood?
This is a common method that is very popular. Sawdust contains a high percentage of phytoncides, which will not allow the root crop to grow, minimize the possibility of infection by the fungus.
For long-term storage of sufficiently dry sawdust and clean boxes or boxes. These containers should be lowered into the basement, having previously been disinfected. The optimal storage temperature varies from -2 to +2, the humidity of the air is no higher than 95% (whether carrots can be stored in a warm cellar, read here).
Preparation: what you need to have and what material to choose?
To create optimal conditions for long-term keeping of the root crop, sawdust, durable boxes and a cool place for laying the container will be useful. The amount of sawdust depends on the volume of the harvested crop. Lay the vegetable is better in wooden containers that hold no more than 18 kg. It is necessary to lower boxes in moderately cold places - basement or garage pit.
It is recommended to take sawdust from coniferous trees for storing the culture. This material contains phytoncides to protect vegetables from bacteria and fungi. Humidity of sawdust should fluctuate in the value of 10-13%. When laying it is important that the material completely envelops each fruit.
How to prepare the room (basement) before storing carrots for the winter in the cellar? This is not the most difficult task, as many may think, but very important. By improperly preparing the room for future storage, you are at risk of getting negative result Of your labor.
How to store carrots in the cellar? Therefore, to keep the root vegetable appearance and taste before the next harvest, you must do the following before laying carrots in the cellar:
- Air the room. It is very important that the storage room for carrots is cool, without odors.
Disinfect the room. To do this, you need a 2 percent solution of lime chlorine. Lime is taken at the rate of 1 kg per 110-140 m2 of surface. After this, the walls of the basement are sprayed with lime. Important! Disinfection must begin a month before the upcoming storage of carrots.
These are three basic rules in order to properly prepare the premises for the future successful storage of carrots.
Selection of root vegetables
How to prepare carrots for storage? First, you should find out which carrot varieties suitable for long term storage and which not.
For long-term savings perfectly fit roots of conical shape varieties:
Quick damage susceptible early varieties of carrots such as:
- Parisian carrot,
Next, you need to select and sort the carrots, she must be whole without any kind of damageas through them the carrot is subject to penetration into it of pathogenic bacteria and fungal diseases. Therefore, carrots, which has damage, are absolutely unsuitable for long-term storage. And finally, in carrots, be sure to remove the tops.
This is the fastest and most convenient way to prepare carrots for storage in the cellar. After performing these very simple procedures, you can go directly to the process of saving carrots.
How to store carrots in the winter in the basement? Acceptable temperature in a place where the carrot will be saved in the future, it should be not less than 0 ° C and not more than 2 ° C. Air access to stored carrots should be limited as much as possible, and ventilation should be moderate. Moisture indoors should not exceed the maximum maximum of 97%.
Important! Any, even the smallest temperature changes can greatly affect the condition of carrots, it may begin to germinate, rot or dry. Therefore, carrots should be stored in places that do not freeze through in winter: cellars, basements or pits.
With the proper conservation of carrots, you will retain all of its beneficial nutrients and flavor characteristics, as well as minimize losses.
What is the best way to store carrots? There are several different options provided for the long-term storage of carrots for the winter in the basement:
- in sand,
- in plastic bags
- in clay,
- in the moss
- in coniferous sawdust,
- in onion or garlic peel,
- in an enamel pan,
- on the beds,
- in plastic boxes.
How to store carrots in the winter in the cellar? The best and most common The way is to save carrots in the sand. They are actively used by gardeners and gardeners, because at the dachas there is no question: where to get the sand and there are no problems with basement cool places. We will tell about each method in more detail below, and also provide step-by-step instructions.
Can I store carrots in sugar bags? Tips for storing carrots from an experienced dacha in this video:
Terms of savings
If the carrot is saved in the right conditions for it, in the basement with air temperature -2 ° C to + 1 ° C and moisture content air in 90-96%, then the carrot can last from 4 to 7 months.
Also, the shelf life of root crops depends on the method you choose:
- In clay - with this method, carrots can be preserved until the new harvest (1 year).
- In wet sand - carrots can persist from 7 to 9 months.
- In sawdust - may persist until the new harvest (1 year).
- In the boxes - carrots can be stored from 4 to 7 months.
- In plastic bags - from 2 to 3 months.
How to store carrots in the cellar in the winter? Consider step-by-step instructions for saving carrots in various options.
In plastic bags
How to store carrots in the cellar in the winter in packages? For storage of carrots in bags for the winter in the cellar will need film bags, calculated from 5 to 25 kg.
Due to the fact that in the film bags the moisture content of the air itself is high, then the carrot does not rot, sprout and fade.
Bags should be kept open and stored in this form, because carrots emit CO2, which in small quantities can prevent the development of fungal diseases.
If you keep the bags closed, the CO2 content will exceed the O2 saturation, which will damage carrots. If you are going to save carrots in tied bags, then you need to make holes in them for the entry of air.
During the period of saving root crops on top of the packets begins to form condensate, this indicates excessive moisture content of the room. Then should be scattered near the bags. hydrated lime (fluff), which will absorb excess moisture.
Carrot storage in cling film in the cellar: wash and dry the carrots. And pieces of 3-5 depending on the size wrap in cling film.
How to store carrots for the winter in the cellar in the sand? This method is the most popular and common.
To save root crops in this way we need:
- clay sand (river will not work),
- the boxes.
Does storing carrots in sand mean dry or wet sand? To save carrots is best suited wet sand. It is possible to make friable sand moistened as follows: a bucket of sand is diluted with one liter of water. After the sand has been moistened, it is laid out on the bottom of the box, a layer of carrots is poured out, and covered back with sand. Carrots and sand alternating layers.
Despite the fact that the sand must be moistened while preserving the carrot, some gardeners willingly use and dried sand, giving preference to buckets rather than boxes. With this method, sand is poured on the bottom of the bucket, then the carrot alternately changes with sand.
You can learn about storing carrots in the sand from this video:
How to store carrots for the winter in the cellar without sand? How to pour carrots for storage for the winter? Can I store carrots in sawdust?
In coniferous sawdust
How to store carrots in the cellar in the winter in sawdust? For savings we need:
Saving carrots in sawdust technology is very similar to the previous method.
Just like sand, sawdust laid out in layers alternately with carrots.
Sawdust is also an excellent filler, due to the fact that they contain large quantities of such beneficial features, as: phytoncides, which help avoid the germination of carrots, as well as prevent the diffusion of fungus and viral microbes into the structure of the carrot.
On how to store carrots in sawdust, you can learn from the video:
Is it possible to store carrots in the moss? For savings we will need:
Saving carrots in moss is different from other ways of saving in that it involves proper preparation of raw materials. First, unwashed carrots must be dried in the sun. After it is well dried, it should be left for a day in a cool place. Technology laying, as well as in the case of sand and sawdust - alternately in layers fit moss and carrots.
For savings we will need:
- boxes or cartons,
- food film.
Using this method of savings, clay is a kind of shield for the root crop, preventing it from germination and decay throughout the winter.
Consider two options for storing carrots in clay solution: it is pouring clay layers and dipping in clay.
Half a bucket filled with clay diluted with water. The next day, when the substance swells from the water, it should be diligently stirred and again poured water into it. Diluted clay, must be kept for several days under a layer of water in two or three centimeters.
Before using it, you need to pay attention to its consistency. She must be not thicker sour cream. After the clay is prepared, the bottom of the boxes in which the carrots will be laid must be covered with plastic wrap.
Next in the prepared boxes laid carrots in such a way that the roots didn't touch each other. After that, clay is poured on a layer of lined carrots. When clay will dry, pour the next layer of carrots and fill it with clay again.
This method is practically no different from the previous one. The only difference is that the carrot is not covered, but covered in clay.
Unwashed carrots should be rolled in a clay solution, and then dry well her in a well blown place. After that, carefully dried carrots are placed in boxes or in cardboard boxes.
For cooking mud solution you should mix the clay with water to a state of liquid sour cream, so that it subsequently would not be able to drain from the carrots. The procedure for dipping carrots in clay - photo:
In onion or garlic peel
For storage, we need:
- wooden boxes,
- onion or garlic husks.
The basis of this method is a similar method, which concerns the saving of carrots in sawdust. As well as sawdust, onion and garlic husks are composed of such essential oils that contribute to damage prevention carrots.
How to keep carrots harvest until spring without a cellar? For savings we will need:
- polyethylene film,
- shavings, fallen leaves, fertilizers.
Some summer residents, while harvesting, specially partially preserve the carrot harvest. winter in beds. For more information about this method of saving carrots can be found here.
In enamel pans
How to save carrots for the winter at home in the basement? To save carrots in this way, it should be washed well, completely remove the tops and thoroughly dry it in the sun.
Carrot placed close to the pot upright, after which it is covered with a paper towel and tightly closed.
Kitchen utensils with carrots should be saved in a cool place, with an increased percentage of moisture, so that the carrots are preserved in their original form before harvesting a new crop.
In plastic boxes
Is it possible to store carrots in plastic boxes? For savings, we need:
- plastic boxes
- filler: sand, clay, sawdust (if available).
Saving carrots in plastic boxes is practically no different from saving carrots in wooden containers.
What, in turn, has a positive effect on the savings procedure and noticeably increases the duration of savings carrots.
The technology of saving carrots in plastic boxes is virtually no different from the methods described earlier for saving carrots in clay, sawdust and sand. The only difference is the tare material in which the carrot will be saved.
What to do in the absence of a cellar?
How to store carrots and beets, if there is no cellar? This question interests many people, because not everyone has private houses with a cellar or basement.
As we already know, carrots are well preserved at temperatures from 0 ° C to + 2 ° C and a moisture content of 96%, therefore, it will be kept in the apartment quite problematic. However, there are some ways that can help solve this problem.
Carrots can be saved in the refrigerator in film bags. The duration of the savings using this method will be very low, but you will be insured against possible decay and germination of root crops.
Also, if the apartment has glazed and well heated balcony, it is possible to save carrots there in wooden boxes with wet sand.
But the most effective and long term is a way to save carrots in clay.
Creating a protective shell on carrots, clay helps to preserve carrots throughout the year. You can also save carrots in clay on the balcony in boxes or packages.
How to save carrots for the winter without a cellar? How to store carrots without a cellar, you will learn by watching this video:
Consider the following method, how to store carrots without a basement.
How to use the caisson?
How to store carrots in caisson? First of all, you should understand what a caisson is. Caisson is waterproof construction. Simply put, it is a box or chamber that is externally equipped so as not to allow water to flow from outside.
To save carrots in this way, it must be well. wash and remove topsthen it follows well to dry in the shadow. After the carrot is dry enough, it must be decomposed into plastic bags. Root vegetables must be placed in the caisson on the same day.
In addition to its taste, carrots also very useful root vegetable. In cooking, there are practically no such dishes, for the preparation of which carrots would not be used. Carrots also make very tasty and refreshing freshly squeezed juices.
Also carrots are one of the main components in various cosmetic products. It produces beautiful masks, scrubs and creams. Carrots are also used in traditional medicine as an effective tool in the fight against all sorts of diseases.
Therefore, the question of storing carrots in the winter is quite relevant in our time. We all love to eat carrots in the summer. But summer, as a rule, passes quickly, and I want to pamper myself with vegetables and fruits, not only in summer, but also in winter.
And cunning sellers raise the prices for vegetables and fruits in winter almost 3 times and, unfortunately, the price does not always correspond to the quality. In this regard, each of us should learn to store carrots at home.
In this article we have tried to give exhaustive answers to all frequently asked questions. We hope that this article has helped you. Be healthy and happy!
In a refrigerator
- If the method of storage in the refrigerator is chosen, then the crop should be washed and dried for 2-3 hours.
- Cut the tops, take a plastic wrap and 3-4 vegetables tightly wrap in 2-3 layers, and then another 2 more dense layers of the film.
- In small batches to put the carrots in the refrigerator in the box for storing vegetables.
- After this, make sure that it does not freeze.
Instead of plastic film fit plastic bags, you can use cans and other containers. For storage in the freezer is suitable mashed carrots or grated version of it.
This method is great for those who live in a city apartment and they do not have the ability to store the harvest in the basement or pit. This will require carrots, brine (30 grams of salt per 1 liter of water).
- Wash and clean the roots.
- Dip them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- For brine, pour salt, bring to a boil, pour vegetables with hot brine.
- Place the jars in a salt water sterilization container. Sterilize 1 liter capacity for 40 minutes.
Nuances and recommendations
If the cellar is missing, the ground will be an excellent storage option. This will save the roots until mid-spring without a cellar.
- During harvest leave the roots in the ground. Cut the tops completely.
- Cover the soil with foil, and cover it with filings and dry leaves.
- Lay the roofing material or polyethylene, fasten along the edges with heavy stones.
Vegetables will be well spent in the garden, but in early spring they will have to be dug out.
When storing vegetables at home, if there is no cellar, a number of important conditions must be met.:
- Humidity should be in the range of 90-95%.
- Temperature indicators are not higher than +10 degrees. Otherwise, the carrot will begin to germinate and release moisture.
Additional tips and warnings
So, how to store beets and other vegetables without a cellar or basement? In order for the harvest to be kept for a long time and not to lose its qualities, it is necessary to adhere to the following recommendations.:
- The temperature should be stable, without sudden changes.
- Disinfect the room. For these purposes, the wall and floor to handle copper sulphate or lime.
- From time to time to inspect the crop, especially if the vegetables are in contact with each other.
- If carrots are stored in the refrigerator, it is best to use plastic bags. They perfectly retain moisture and do not allow the roots to dry.
Using the presented methods of storing carrots, it is not necessary to have a basement. Observing all the conditions, having properly carried out the preliminary preparation of vegetables, you can keep them until the next spring, and they will not lose their properties. All methods are simple, so that absolutely every farmer can do it.