Judging by the photo tomato "oxen ears" - this is the usual tomato. But, having heard reviews, and having learned what characteristics it possesses from the description of a variety, you will definitely want to try it. What is so fond of the "ear" gardeners, you will learn from our information article.
Characteristic and description
This hybrid went on sale about four years ago, and has already managed to conquer the hearts of gardeners with its short stature and good, juicy harvest. Inherent advantage is that seeds can be harvested from ripe tomatoes and used in the next year. The cow's ear refers to a variety of mid-seasoned tomatoes, the whole process of growing (from planting seeds to seedlings and ending with the harvest) takes from 100 to 115 days.
Looking at the photo of the fruit, you can see that the tomato has a smooth cylindrical shape with a pointed nose, resembling the ear of an animal. In a ripe state, the weight of one vegetable reaches 100-150 g. About 6 kg of tomato ears can be collected from one square meter. The range of colors ranges from red to rich red. Tomatoes are, though not in a dense skin, but they do not crack and for a long time retain their presentation. The flesh is not watery, fleshy, with an average seed content. In terms of taste, tomatoes are slightly sour, which harmonizes well with the sweetness of the fruit.
This variety of tomatoes has various uses in cooking. It can be salted, pickled, canned, stewed, added to salads and eaten fresh.
The plant in the care is not capricious, it can be planted in open ground, and under the film coating. Resistant to cold and disease.
The disadvantages include:
- the formation of the bush
- frequent watering
- soil treatment from pests and weeds.
This vegetable attracts pests with its aroma and taste, so you need to look at the bushes twice a week and remove the harmful beetles away from the plant. To protect the fruit, you can process the leaves with a special solution.
Little about seedlings
Tomatoes are best grown seedlings in boxes, after having treated the seeds with a solution of manganese. Before transplanting sprouts into open ground, the land must first be watered, neutralized from various fungi and burst. After pre-treatment, you can not worry about the safety of the roots. They will take root well and at the end of the summer, the bushes will reward you with a good harvest.
Reviews about "bullock ears"
I read articles about tomatoes and from one review I found out that there was a “Cow's ears” tomato, showed my wife a photo, she bought seedlings and at the end of May the bushes were covered with green tomatoes. Soon the redness began. Considering the fact that we have a small garden, the harvest turned out a lot. Enough to eat this way, roll up for the winter, and shared with the children. The spouse managed to collect seeds from red tomatoes in time and next year we plant them again.
Well, what can I say about this variety, very prolific, it takes up little space, a large crop, it is sown in several stages, which makes it possible to harvest tomatoes at different times and have time to process them. The disadvantages can be attributed to constant watering and treatment of pests. And as luck would have it, the summer was hot, I thought that all the tomatoes would dry out, because I had the opportunity to come to the dacha twice a week, of course, the watering was the same. The bushes suffered the summer heat and almost did not spoil (some still died, but not many).
On the contrary, our summer was cold, rainy and windy, but this did not affect the tomatoes. I liked this hybrid in salting more, I just don’t like fresh vegetables, so I put everything in jars at once. Beautiful appearance, everything is like a selection, inside is fleshy, the only minus is a white streak and a few voids. I grew bushes without a pinching (I think this process is time consuming and unnecessary), tied to a peg, once a week fertilized. Watering did not make sense, a rainy summer benefited. Due to the lack of sunny days, the harvest was late, I had to collect unripe fruits, but at home they came well. Hopefully, in the coming year, I will be lucky and the tomato oxen ears will make me happy.
Observance of important points in the cultivation of tomatoes - the key to a good harvest. Are you ready to spend precious time in the garden to get large, fleshy fruits? Then don't postpone it for tomorrow and engage in agriculture today.
Description, characteristic of the variety Ox-ear
The variety is mid-season. 95 days will pass before the ripening of the first fruits. Shrubs about a meter or a little more, not very branched. Productivity satisfies even the gardener who is tempted in tomato affairs. From 1 square. m is easy to collect up to 6 kg of selected tomatoes. The ripening period is long, i.e. harvest will be taken several times per season.
Fruits are compact, neat, nice to hold. It tastes fleshy, sweet and insanely aromatic. The weight of one tomato is 150-200 grams. The form is elongated, with a spout characteristic of the variety, resembling an ear. And oxen - from the word "oxen". Ripen together. Sometimes, under the abundant greenery, one is amazed at the number of people born of bright red color. Take a look at the photo.
Tomato peel is soft, but strong enough, thanks to which it is suitable for storage and transportation.
Tomato oxen's ears belong to lettuce tomatoes. It is recommended to use them fresh as much as possible. You can save them for the winter in the form of juice, sauce, tomato. In general, it is not advisable to preserve the form - the skin will burst.
Features of growing
The easiest and most well-known method is a seedling. To begin with, seeds need to be bought, washed, soaked in a weak solution of potassium permanganate, dried, and then planted in a prepared substrate. For planting in a container with the ground make small grooves, lay out the seeds, and from above fall asleep with a thin layer of earth, moisturize. The container with planting material is placed in a warm and bright place. The optimum temperature for germination is 25 degrees. After the emergence of shoots, the temperature can be reduced, but leave a sunny place.
If the light in the house is not enough, it is recommended to buy special lamps (or build additional lighting by yourself) and turn them on for a couple of hours in the morning and as much in the evening. Photo for clarity.
When the seedlings will be pleased with the first real leaves, plant them in more spacious boxes.
Focusing on the calendar gardener of your region, plant seedlings in the ground, when the night frosts will definitely be a thing of the past.
If there is no such calendar at hand, then the seedlings are ready for transplanting to a permanent place of growth and development, when 6 sheets have already been formed and even the first ovary has appeared.
When landing in the ground, keep a distance. Do not plant too thickly. Maximum 3 - 4 bushes per square meter. With a closer planting, many people do not have enough sunlight, which means growth will be difficult, and diseases attack such frail plants very quickly.
In the first 2 weeks after disembarkation (if you are not planting in a greenhouse), use a film cover, especially at night. Give a chance to get stronger plants in a new place.
Diseases and pests
The variety of oxen ears has already been declared as resistant to many diseases, but in order not to panic later, it is better to take care of prevention in advance.
Before planting in the soil, many gardeners strongly recommend shedding the soil with a hot solution of potassium permanganate. This measure disinfects the soil. After all, as you know, phytophthora can safely winter in the soil and ruin your mood in the summer.
By the way, during the "epidemic" of late blight treat the plants with copper-containing preparations.
Remove weeds in time, loosen and mulch the soil - this will save the crop from root and top rot.
This variety tolerates short-term cold and drought without adverse effects.
Try this variety in business and replenish the piggy bank of your favorite varieties in the form of ears!
The “ox ear” with its unusual name is the work of Russian breeders. The variety has many advantages, among which are tasty fruits, good yield. With regards to disease, then if you take care during planting on the disinfection of seed material, then phytophthora, mosaic or rot you will not be afraid.
It is also worth noting that the fruits can be plucked in the fall, when they are not ripe, at home they will quickly move into a phase of full ripeness. Tomatoes can be grown for sale, they tolerate transportation, do not burst, do not rot. In a word, a very good tomato is tasty and fragrant, and a lot of attention will not be required.
Tomato "ox ear". Characteristics and description of the variety
- Determinant view. It does not have a final growth point.
- Bushes grow tall, they need support. This can be called a small minus of tomato.
- Bushes are powerful, but the leaves on them are not very much, which is good for the harvest - the fruits ripen evenly, the moisture does not linger, which, in turn, does not lead to the development of a pathogenic environment.
- One brush forms an average of 4-6 tomatoes.
- Fruits can weigh up to 300 grams, they can be preserved as a whole, when the tomatoes are smaller and cut.
- High-yielding variety. So, the “Bull's Ears” tomato, you see the photo, according to reviews, and according to information from the producers can produce more than 6-8 kg of tasty fruits.
- Treats grades with average terms of maturing. So, you can collect tomatoes in about 110-115 days.
- The shape of tomatoes plum.
- The skin is glossy, smooth. The flesh is juicy, sweet, pleasant, not watery.
- Tomato is not a hybrid, it means that you can sow the seeds that you get from this year's crop for the next season.
- It has good resistance to diseases, but prevention is still needed.
- Tomato gives stable yields both in the open field and under the film cover.
- The skin is dense, it protects the fruits from cracks, does not cause discomfort during eating. It has a rich red color.
- The variety has a universal table purpose. The tomato perfectly showed itself during pickling, salting, it is pleasant to eat tomatoes and fresh.
- Cold-resistant variety that does not require special care.
- Formation in 1-2 stalks is required, which is also for some summer residents minus.
You met with the tomato "oxen's ears" and its description. Now you need to know and how to grow it. For experienced summer residents, we will not discover anything new, but for beginners information will be useful.
As we have said, this tomato does not have absolute resistance to diseases. Therefore, it is better for you to disinfect seeds before planting, soak them additionally in a growth stimulator. This will give future seedlings a good immunity, and even if the year turns out to be particularly difficult in terms of pathogen attacks, your bushes will feel good.
In the greenhouse or on the street, you will plant this tomato, it does not matter, but you should remember about the garter beforehand. That is, even when the seedlings are small, you must prepare the soil for it to be fertile, because it will be a better harvest, and make supports — a trellis or a rope. Of course, you can say that, they say, the neighbor in the dacha does not prepare the soil, and tomatoes grow for themselves, why should you waste time.
The fact is that the soil at each site may be different, as well as it varies from region to region. If the year does not turn out to be very favorable, the plants may start to hurt, but if they are processed at the sowing stage, they get maximum nutrients from the soil, then their immunity will be higher.
So, the simplest thing is to soak a week before planting the seeds in a solution of manganese, then rinse, and in a couple of days put it in the Epin. This is a very popular stimulant, we always recommend it. It is better to make crops immediately in a separate container, even better in the one that will decompose itself in the soil. So, you will not dive the seedlings, which can be time-consuming and you can break a lot of seedlings, and during the transfer of adaptation the seedlings will practically not be. You moisten the crops and place them under the film. By the time - this is March-April.
After the seeds have risen, they need light, watering. The soil is better to buy ready, it contains the necessary amount of nutrients, and seedlings can grow in it without feed. You can prepare the soil on the street by spilling boiling water on it, which will give additional disinfection, and then add humus, superphosphate, sand. You can use peat, ash, compost. Make a trellis right away.
Transfer of seedlings will be in May - June. One meter more than three plants do not plant. To form a bush at once, you remove the stepchildren, all but one at the top. So, there will be another stalk. If, nevertheless, a tomato disease has started in the neighbor’s cottage, then it is possible to spray manganese with a solution or treat the bushes with copper sulphate.
Top dressings bring, alternating organic and mineral. But as experience shows, the introduction of simple manure, explored in water, 2-3 times per season is quite enough. Moreover, such a fertilizer is not worth the money, it is safe for health. Well, even novices know about weed removal and loosening the soil after watering. It was all the information about the “ox-ear” tomatoes, and the description of the variety and cultivation will help to get the harvest of these tomatoes easily.
That's all the tricks. They seem time consuming, but with experience all actions are performed very quickly and without problems.
Tomato Volovye Ear: variety description
Tomatoes Volove Ears - mid-season high-yielding variety. The bush is indeterminate, tall, not too branched.
Formation of green mass is medium, leaves are small, dark green, inflorescences are simple. The fruits ripen with brushes of 4-6 pieces. Productivity is good, from 1 square. meters of planting, you can get more than 6 kg of selected tomatoes.
The ripening period is extended for the whole season, the tomatoes are harvested at the stage of technical or physiological ripeness. Fruits are medium in size, weighing from 100 to 140 g. The shape is elongated, with a pointed tip, resembling an ear. The tomatoes are slightly ribbed at the stem, the color is deep red.
The skin is dense, protecting the fruit from cracking, the pulp is juicy, fleshy, with a large number of seed chambers. Taste is saturated, sweet, without wateriness.
Compare the weight of fruit varieties with others can be in the table below:
We will also tell you about all means of protection against late blight and diseases such as Alternaria, Fusarium and Verticilliasis.
Origin and Application
Variety Volove Ear bred by Russian breeders, designed for growing in open beds and in film shelters.
Tomatoes Oxen Ears belong to the salad, they are tasty fresh, used to prepare snacks, side dishes and other dishes. Small, flat tomatoes with thick skins can be salted or pickled, and ripe juice makes delicious juice.
See below: Tomatoes Volovye Ear photo
Advantages and disadvantages
Among the main advantages of the variety:
- high taste of fruits,
- good yield
- excellent preservation of fruits
- cold resistance
- unpretentious care,
- disease resistance.
The minor drawbacks include the need to form a bush.
You can compare the yield of a variety with others in the table below:
Description and features of tomatoes
Despite the fact that tomatoes have not very good characteristics, since they begin to ripen at a fairly late time, many summer residents love them. Tomato Oxen Ears has a description like a late vegetable. It ripens at the end of summer. The ripening period lasts a long time, compared to other varieties of tomato.Its growth period is 110-115 days. It is because of this characteristic that gardeners did not like them. Since people bought tomatoes for the winter and finished the summer season, and the fact that the Oxen Ears only started to ripen was not interesting to anyone.
Description Tomato has many disadvantages than advantages. But those who try this sort of fruit at least once, will understand that such a long time of cultivation compared to taste is nothing, so you can wait. When choosing tomatoes that a person wants to plant on his plot, he prefers not only his taste, but also such qualities:
- the vegetable is medium thick, the flesh is soft and tender,
- fruits are oval, the surface has no pile, the color is red and saturated,
- taste Cow's Ears have a good and very gentle, also does not affect the taste, where exactly the fruits will be grown, they will remain as attractive,
- there is acid and sugar in the pulp,
- Description of the height of the plant is 60-80 centimeters in height,
- the amount of harvest always shows good: on average, six kilograms of tomatoes can be grown from one square meter,
- one fruit weighs about one hundred grams,
In addition to the positive sides, oxen ears also have bad sides. If the fruit is cut, you can see a poor vein that is thick enough. The seed place is only half full, so the fruit seems a bit empty. If the bush is not propped up, when it starts to stretch heavily, you can injure and lose half the crop,
People who have long been engaged in the cultivation of tomatoes of this variety, leave feedback. They argue that if properly grown vegetables, it is possible to achieve an excellent harvest and the disadvantages will be almost imperceptible. Photos left under a variety of reviews are very popular, as the plant really has a wonderful view.
How to grow tomatoes
It is best to grow tomatoes of this variety with seedlings. You should know how to prepare seedlings in order to grow good fruit.
- First, you need to process the seeds with a solution of potassium permanganate. Then rinse them well under running water and soak for twelve hours. This is necessary so that the fruits begin to grow well and develop.
- After that you need to prepare the ground. In order for the soil to be perfect for growing seedlings, you need to mix ordinary soil with peat or humus. So that the soil turned out to be quite nutritious, a little wood ash is added to it.
- Seeds are sifted into not very deep pits. Then sprinkle with earth and pour water. In order for the plant to grow faster, it creates the necessary temperature conditions.
- Tomato seedling will grow and develop very well if it is placed in a room in which there will be 25 degrees. When the first shoots are visible, the temperature is reduced, and the seedlings are put on a well-lit place.
Replant the plant should only be when you will see a couple of dense sheets. Also, seedlings are fed complex fertilizers. Doing a transplant is best in mid-May.
How to take care of tomatoes
When growing this variety you need to follow the rules.
It is worth knowing that vegetables of this variety need special care. A few days after planting in open soil, the plant is covered with foil. It is necessary to grow one or two stems by removing the stepsons, three brushes and more. In order for the plant to grow tall and give a good harvest, a special support is placed in the ground. Tomatoes must be fed with complex fertilizer.
The plant has one wonderful feature; they never get sick, since they are sufficiently resistant to various diseases. But experienced gardeners are still advised to carry out the prevention and treatment of the plant. Such an event will completely remove the chances of the disease.
When care is provided and performed according to all the rules, then the plant will make you happy. At the end of the summer season it will bring wonderful fruits, about which you can only dream. People, when they leave messages on the gardener's website, also leave a photo of their beautiful tomatoes. They are so happy with them that they make photos every year.
For a start, it is worth noting that this variety does not require much attention to itself. The care is very simple and you will not get tired during the growing period. It is also worth observing the recommendations during cultivation, it is very important. Therefore, to really grow a wonderful and tasty harvest. Tomatoes will be stored for a long time, and they do not spoil. The variety is practically not sick, and the taste is very pleasant. The seeds of the fruit are used next year for planting.
Characteristics and features
Characteristics and description of the variety of tomato. Cows ears claim that its first fruits ripen at the end of the summer season. Tomatoes are distinguished by a long period of growth: about 110-115 days pass from the emergence of the seedlings until the fruit ripens. That is why some gardeners consider the cultivation of oxen ears as irrelevant. This is due to the fact that by the end of the summer almost all had already harvested early tomatoes and made harvesting for the winter based on them.
Despite the late ripening of tomatoes, any summer resident who has tasted the taste of these tomatoes at least once will prefer the cultivation of this particular salad variety.
Such a choice is conditioned not only by excellent taste, but also by the following advantages:
- the fruit has an average density, its flesh is distinguished by a delicate structure,
- fruits are cylindrical in shape, with a smooth surface, solid red saturated color,
- the flavor range of tomatoes is maximally revealed in absolutely all regions, since the content of organic acids and sugars is balanced in their pulp,
- the plant is determinant, its height can reach 60-80 centimeters,
- rich yield of a variety - on average, from 1 square meter you can get 6.3 kilos of tomatoes,
- the average weight of 1 fruit is 100 grams.
Many gardeners complement the description of tomatoes with some disadvantages:
- in the middle of the fruit is a light lived, which is very noticeable when cut,
- the seed chambers are only partially filled, causing a feeling of emptiness,
- the lack of props for branches can lead to damage, loss of a certain part of the crop.
Experienced gardeners claim that while ensuring proper planting and care for the plant deficiencies are minimized.
Grow this variety should be seedling way. Prepare seedlings required by the following instructions:
- Seeds are treated with a solution of potassium permanganate, then thoroughly washed, dried, soaked for 12 hours in any growth promoter.
- At this time, preparing the ground. Suitable soil can be obtained by mixing garden soil with peat or humus material. To make the soil more nutritious, you can add a small amount of wood ash.
- Seeds are sown in shallow holes, sprinkled with soil, moistened.
In order for the first shoots to appear faster on the soil surface, it is necessary to ensure optimum temperature indicators of the environment.
The plant actively develops at temperatures above 25 degrees. After sprouting appears on the surface of the earth, the temperature should be reduced, and the containers should be placed in a lit place.
Dive shoots should be only after a few full leaves appear above the ground surface. The plant should be fed complex fertilizer. It is necessary to replant in the second half of May, when the plant has at least 1 flower brush and 6 leaves.
Cowhide ears need the following care:
- The first days after planting the plant in open ground, it must be covered with foil.
- To form 1 or 2 stalks should be with the removal of stepsons above 3 brushes.
- To support tall plants, it is necessary to build a support structure.
- The plant in the planting season should be fed three times with the help of complex fertilizer.
One of the advantages of tomato oxen ears is that tomato is resistant to pathogens. However, gardeners still recommend carrying out preventive treatment of plantings. Such a measure will help to completely eliminate the risk of damage to the shrub with phytophthora, root, gray and summit rot.
While ensuring proper care, the ox's ear brings large, juicy fruits that will decorate any table and are an excellent ingredient for preparing not only salads, but also beverages and sauces.
Some plant information
Tomato ox-ear, characteristic and description of the variety which indicate that it is best used for the manufacture of salads.
It has the following data:
- The plant bears fruit at the end of summer (from mid-August to early September). From the germination of seedlings to receive the fruits, 110-116 days pass.
- The ox ear has bushes with a height of 0.6 to 0.8 m.
- The leaves of the plant are standard for tomatoes, green. There are an average number of them on the stem, so it seems that the fruits are covered with leaves.
- Oxen Tomatoes have an elongated cylindrical shape. They have a smooth, uniform color. Fruits are red, fleshy inside.
- Inside the tomato is from 4 to 6 seed chambers, but the seeds themselves are few. The average fruit weight is 0.1 kg, but with normal plant care, farmers manage to get specimens weighing up to 0.2 kg.
This "bullish" variety sets fruit well. From 4 to 6 tomatoes can develop on one brush, and from 5 to 6 brushes sprout on a bush. The yield of this tomato is quite high. On average, gardeners receive at least 6.5 kg per square meter. Due to the severity of the fruit, the branches of the plant are strongly bent, therefore it is recommended to tie the stalks to the stands or trellis.
On open ground, a tomato of the described variety can be grown in the southern regions of Russia, as well as in the middle zone. In Siberia and in the Far North, it is recommended to grow this tomato in greenhouses.
How to care for the described plant?
For the cultivation of this tomato seed fund is better to buy in specialty stores. After sowing seeds in the ground to a depth of 10-20 mm, pre-treated and fertilized, produce watering with warm water. Tara seeds placed in a room with a suitable temperature. After the germination of seeds and the appearance of sprouts they are hardened, bringing to the street. When 1-2 leaves grow on the seedlings, the plants dive.